LGH Forum Index LGH
Australian and New Zealand Bath, Body and Beauty Chat With a Big Dose of E-Tailers

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vegetarian newbie
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LGH Forum Index -> Chat -> Arts, Crafts, Food and Fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alight
The Evil Enabler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: vegetarian newbie  Reply with quote

I have finally decided to give vegetarianism a go. Any help is most welcome. i already have issues digesting red meat so it shouldn't be too hard to drop that. But I do love my chicken and fish but I was thinking of doing it by stages just to see how I go?
alight
The Evil Enabler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit better equipped this week went shopping and got lots of vege replacements for meat meals. One of my boys wants to eat the same as me because he hates meat but i am a bit torn as he is still young and growing Confused Still eating fish and chicken at this stage but hopefully as i get a grip on the vege replacements.
Lilacea
Living Dead Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is he?
shaybear
Princess of Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my friends have had success doing one day on meat, and one day off - just to cut down the amount of meat they're eating, and ease themselves into being a vegetarian.

Re: your son, I'd be inclined to speak to a Doctor just to make sure it's healthy for him to cut out all meat.

There's lots of online resources that will teach you about what foods you need to eat to ensure you get all of the nutrients and vitamins that your body needs.  

alight
The Evil Enabler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilacea wrote:
How old is he?

He's 9, at the moment we are just taking it meal at a time and keeping the fish and chicken is helping, only week 2 so far.
Sashan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not vegetarian but don't eat meat during the week. I've found it so much easier to plan and prepare meals not having to worry about meat. I make sure I always have plenty of grains, beans, lentils, tofu and fresh veges. I still eat fish sometimes but only eat meat if we go out for dinner or get takeaways on the weekend.

I've found the below sites to be extremely helpful and once you get used to cooking without meat, it's really easy to substitute the meat in recipes for something else.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
http://www.101cookbooks.com/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/vegan-veg-index.html
(have cooked some of her recipes that contain meat substituting for tofu, lentils or beans)
alight
The Evil Enabler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sashan those sites look yummy
GuruGoddess
Exxy Screw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to let your son be a vego, please, PLEASE make sure he has enough leafy greens and dairy products.  My cousin is a vegan and so are her kids and as a result of this, her oldest child had two fractures before he turned 7.  It makes me shudder.  

Perhaps if you are going to cut out chicken totally, you could have "fishy friday" meals, as fish is such wonderful brain food, especially for children!!

And for you, the following foods will be your friends to keep you full:

Rice
Pasta
Potato
Cheese
Mushrooms
Paneer - I love this stuff, it's the food of the gods! I can give you a wonderful Muttar Paneer recipe if you like.  It's an indian curry literally translated means "peas and cheese".

If are you carb conscious, choose the low GI varieties and eat wholegrain wherever possible.

And remember the golden vego rule.  You must have fruit.  There is fruit in wine, and it's vego.  Ching Ching...... Twisted Evil
alight
The Evil Enabler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping with hubby and my other son wanting to keep eating red meat that I can sneak a few red meat meals into my other son. I was going to wait till they were older before making the change but my tummy doesn't cope well on red meat and I thought the change was better than whingeing about it everytime I ate it. i love chicken myself so it will be a while before that is taken out of the menu. I am thinking fish twice a week chicken twice a week vege twice a week and takeaways once a week. We usually have vege once a week so hopefully it won't be too hard.
miffy
<3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to go fulltime, something that Seriously_Addicted from the Lush forum told me was invaluable - eat a variety of food, and eat different colours. That way you get all the nutrition you need as different foods supply you with different nutrients. Simply cutting meat from a dish won't necessarily provide you with what you need. It would be good to use vegetarian recipes rather than meatless recipes in non-vegetarian cook books, and eat a variety of vegies, pulses, legumes, fruit etc. We have our staple dishes but we also choose new recipes each week to build up our recipe base. It's fun and I've never had such a varied diet.

It's been 2 years for me in May. I've not had a cold or flu in that time. My blood tests come back with lower cholesterol, good calcium and good iron levels etc. Because I eat far less processed food, I feel so much healthier. I really do miss chicken and bacon, but I have my new favourite foods to make up for it hehe.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated

Smilie_PDT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LGH Forum Index -> Chat -> Arts, Crafts, Food and Fun All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: